Until the 31 March 2014, the OFT had a duty under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to maintain a register of consumer credit licence holders.
From 1 April 2014 regulation of consumer credit transferred to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The OFT Consumer Credit Register is available as an historic record of licence holders before 31 March 2014 for reference only. The register of firms regulated by the FCA can be searched here.
The Consumer Credit Register includes details of:
- applications for - and holders of - consumer credit licences up to 31 March 2014
- applications to vary or renew licences and changes to certain particulars notified to the OFT before 31 March 2014.
- the OFT’s decisions to refuse applications, revoke consumer credit licences or impose requirements before 31 March 2014.
- information relating to any appeal to the First Tier Tribunal (Consumer Credit) against any such decision before 31 March 2014.
- information on Validation Orders in respect of agreements made by unlicensed or incorrectly licensed traders before 31 March 2014.
For information on how to search the register, view the help page
Search the register.
Please note that search results are limited to 100 matches per search.
Please note. All standard credit licences issued before April 2008 were valid for a specific period. The Register shows the "Expiry" date for these licences. Where an application to renew was received before the licence lapsed, the Act provides that the licence would continue to be in force beyond its original expiry date. The Licence Status field indicates whether a licence lapsed or whether a renewal application was received before the licence lapsed.
Copies of current group licences issued by the OFT before 31 March 2014, details of any person excluded from the cover of a group licence and particulars of any other variations made to these licences can be found here
Some EEA ‘passported’ businesses were not required to be licensed by the OFT. This information is held by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) on the FCA Register
You are able to search the Consumer Credit Bulletin for details of licensing actions on a week by week basis.